Saturday, May 9, 2009

FLAG BURNING

GENE WEINGARTEN, Washington Post Staff Writer, July 26, 2005
CZIKOWSKY: If we cheer when Chinese dissidents stand up to their government, and if we cheer when Cuban dissidents stand up to their government, how can we then be hypocrites and then make it a Constitutional amendment to state that someone can’t disagree with their own government in America? I’m not saying I like burning the flag, indeed, I oppose it but we have to lead by example. This is (was?) a country that allows the freedom of expression, and that freedom must be protected, whether it be someone who wishes to burn a flag or a comedian who wishes to tell an off-color joke.
WEINGARTER: I pretend to be pretty self-assured on most issues, but most of it is columnist swagger.
On this issue, I am without even teeny nagging doubts. And you know what? I am guessing that most pols who favor an anti-flag burning amendment KNOW what hypocrites and demagogues and pandering schmucks they are being. They see it a s a political game, to force the other side to take a position they can cynically exploit. I find it hard to believe that any intelligent person, understanding the Constitution, can seriously think that AMENDING THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION TO PROHIBIT A VICTIMLESS CRIME THAT DOES NOT EXIST is a good idea. It’s just inconceivable.
I am equally concerned about the correctness of gay marriage. I would bet my house that gay marriage will be legal, national, in fifty years, because it is simply Correct and Fair, and we as a society tend to proceed, fitfully, in that direction.
CZIKOWSKY: Instead of worrying about burning the flag, which is something that does not happen all that often, I wonder why politicians don’t act against the real desecration of the flag: the use of the American flag in political advertising? There is where a law is really needed.
WEINGARTER: NO THAT IS NOT NEEDED EITHER.
You seem to be missing the point.
Congress. Shall. Make. No. Law. Abridging. Freedom. Of. Speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment