Saturday, May 9, 2009

GOLF

DAVID VON DREHLE, Washington Post Staff Writer, June 2, 2003
CZIKOWSKY: The late Ian McHarg told one of my favorite golf stories of all time. He helped design a golf course near a tourist attraction where children fed alligators marshmallows while tourists took their pictures. The lesson Ian McHarg learned: Prepare for the unexpected. On the first day the golf course opened, they discovered a problem they had never even considered: Alligators can’t tell the difference between marshmallows and golf balls. So, you’re right, there are all kinds of lessons to be learned at the golf course.
VON DREHLE: Ha! Great story.
I lived in Florida for a few years in the ‘80s, and I vividly recall the time I shanked one into the reeds next to a water hazard. “Ah!” I thought. “It’s right there next to that log!” I was about four inches of stomping on the “log” when I realized it was a gator!

LEONARD SHAPIRO, Washington Post Staff Writer, August 12, 2004
CZIKOWSKY: I am not a sports psychology expert, but a recent Tiger Woods interview has me worried about him. When he admitted that he is beginning to doubt his own ability, isn’t that just about the worse thing an athlete can do? Failure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think a more positive and perhaps more relaxed attitude might help him. Is Tiger Woods dooming himself, in your opinion?
SHAPIRO: Tiger was extremely upbeat in his comments on Tuesday before the tournament started, and said he was pleased with his progress and excited about his game. Whether he’s in denial or not, only he knows for sure. I do think he’s not the confident player we saw three and four years ago, but I believe he’s still capable of winning any time he plays. More important, so do his peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment